Going Paper-Free in 2023: The Sustainable Solution for Streamlined Business Operations and Cost Savings
In today’s digital age, businesses are increasingly recognising the importance of adopting sustainable and eco-friendly practices. One such practice that has gained significant traction in recent years is going paper-free.
In 2023, businesses should seriously consider making the switch to a paperless office, not only to reduce their carbon footprint but also to streamline operations, save costs, and enhance productivity.
Why go paper-free?
Going paper-free can help businesses and individuals become more efficient, save money, and reduce their environmental impact. Here are just some of the reasons why you should go paper-free.
Cost savings: By eliminating paper usage, businesses can save significant costs associated with printing, copying, storing, and transporting physical documents. It also reduces the need for expensive office equipment and maintenance. More on the cost savings later in the post.
Environmental benefits: Going paper-free can help reduce the environmental impact of your business by reducing paper waste, conserving natural resources, and reducing carbon emissions associated with paper production, transportation, and disposal.
Streamlined operations: Digital documents are easier to manage, store, search, and retrieve, leading to more efficient and streamlined business operations. This can also enhance collaboration and communication among employees.
Improved security: Digital documents can be encrypted, password-protected, and backed up regularly to prevent data loss, theft, or unauthorised access. This provides greater security and peace of mind for businesses and their clients.
How Ascentas can help?
Ascentas is a document management and scanning solutions provider that can help businesses transition to a paper-free office in a cost-effective and efficient manner. Here are some of the ways Ascentas can assist:
Document scanning: Ascentas offers document scanning services that can digitise physical documents into searchable and accessible digital files. This allows businesses to access and share information more easily, and also helps with regulatory compliance.
Cloud-based storage: Ascentas offers cloud-based document storage solutions that allow businesses to securely store and access their digital files from anywhere, at any time, using any device. This eliminates the need for physical storage space and provides greater flexibility and accessibility.
Workflow automation: Ascentas can help automate workflows and document processes, reducing the need for manual data entry and paperwork. This can save time and enhance productivity, while also reducing the risk of errors and delays.
10 steps to creating a paper-Free office
Implementing these steps can help your office reduce paper usage and become more efficient and sustainable.
01. Audit current paper usage: Take stock of how much paper your office currently uses, where it is being used, and for what purpose. This will help you identify areas where you can make changes.
02. Digitise documents: Scan paper documents and save them in a digital format, such as PDF or TIFF. Use OCR (optical character recognition) software to make scanned documents searchable.
03. Implement a document management system: Use a digital system for storing and organising documents. This can be a cloud-based system or an on-premise server.
06. Use online collaboration tools: Use online collaboration tools to share documents and work on projects with others, regardless of location.
07. Reduce incoming paper: Encourage suppliers and customers to send electronic invoices and statements, and opt for paperless billing for utilities and other services.
08. Eliminate unnecessary printing: Encourage employees to only print when necessary and use duplex printing to reduce paper usage.
09. Provide training: Provide training to employees on how to use digital systems and tools effectively.
10. Monitor progress: Track the progress of your paperless office initiative and adjust your strategy as needed.
Ascentas’ Team of Digital Transformation experts are always on hand to discuss how you can reduce paper and become more efficient and sustainable. Talk to us today and begin your Digital Transformation journey.
The Cost Benefits
According to a survey by YouGov, UK businesses spend an average of £10,220 per year on printing and paper-related costs. This includes expenses such as paper, ink, toner, printers, and copiers.
Obviously, by eliminating the need for paper documents and printed materials, you can save money on printing supplies, such as ink and toner, and paper costs, but that’s not all. There are a host of other cost benefits for going paper-free.
Lower storage costs: Going paper-free means you don’t need to store physical documents in filing cabinets or storage rooms, which can be expensive and take up valuable office space. Instead, you can store documents electronically, either on your computer or in the cloud.
Increased productivity: Digitising your documents can save time and increase efficiency. For example, you can search for and find documents more quickly, collaborate more easily with colleagues, and avoid the time-consuming process of printing, signing, scanning, and emailing documents.
Reduced mailing costs: Sending documents electronically can save money on postage and courier fees.
Environmental benefits: Going paper-free can also have a positive impact on the environment by reducing paper waste and the associated carbon footprint.
Going paper-free in 2023 can bring significant benefits to businesses, including cost savings, environmental benefits, streamlined operations, and improved security. Ascentas can help businesses make the transition to a paperless office in a cost-effective and efficient manner.
It’s time to embrace the digital revolution and create a more sustainable and efficient workplace for the future. Talk to us today!